Shotguns help a lot when you are shooting on a short distance. They can be used for tactical situations as well as during hunting. Even then, you need quick target acquisition so as not to miss your target in the end, which is why there are red dot sights for shotguns. With such a sight, you should be able to aim and shoot accurately within a distance of 100 yards or less. A red dot sight will help you keep both your eyes open, which helps a lot especially when shooting in tactical situations. You are able to focus well on the sight, without straining the shooting eye. Here is a review of the best red dot sights for shotguns to help you make a good choice:
Top 5 The Best Red Dot Sight for Shotguns
1. Aimpoint Micro T-2 2 MOA Sight (No Mount)
This is a compact red dot sight that is specially designed for modern types of sporting rifles. It comes with a cutting edge lens coating, which improves its shape and clarity. Some physical protection has been added too, in order to make it even more rugged. Weighing only 105g, the sight will not wear you down. It is light enough to be carried and used everywhere you go. It has 4 night vision compatible settings and 8 daylight settings, with one extra bright for use with laser protection glasses or in the bright sunlight of the desert. This product has an integral Picatinny-style base, which helps the user to attach it easily on any rail.
Our Rating: (4.5 / 5)
- This is a very easy to use red dot sight
- It can be attached to any rail
- It is well built. This is what gives it its durability
- Its ACET technology gives it a long time service, of over 5 years with just one battery
- The sight will give you an unlimited field of view
- It is unaffected by extreme weather conditions
- It is a bit pricey
2. Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight Riflescope, 1x 25 mm (Tilted front lens)
If you are looking for a great quality but inexpensive red dot sight for your shotgun, this is a good choice to go for. It is a very popular sight and great to use by hunters as well as shooting enthusiasts. Some of its great features are that it is waterproof, fogproof as well as shockproof. It is therefore the kind of sight you can count on for a longer time service. It has an inbuilt weaver-style mount, to help the user mount it on any rail. And it produces a red 3 MOA dot to help you see your target better for accurate shooting. Another thing you will love so much about it is that it has a long battery life. It can stay for up to 3, 000 hours on a single battery.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- This is an inexpensive great quality red dot sight with an impressive HD clarity for a shotgun
- It is the best to use for quick target acquisition in low light situations
- Its rugged design makes it strong and so durable
- It has a great battery life
- Its red dot is absolutely reliable. It has 11 brightness settings, giving the user an unlimited eye relief
- The red dot is not very reliable in some situations
3. BSA 30mm Red Dot Scope with 5 MOA
This is an extremely light in weight sighting system that can be used for different purposes. It is great to use for close quarter as well as medium range targets. Its weight makes it suitable for use with small calibers. Their strength and durability on the other hand makes them great to use with larger calibers. The sight is good and can be used by all kinds of people including hunters and law enforcement officers. It has an adjustable mounting system, which is perfect for shotguns, pistols, rifles, bows and crossbows as well. The user is able to adjust the brightness of the sight depending on the light in their surroundings.
Our Rating: (4 / 5)
- This is a very light in weight sight that can be used with all kind of weapons in any situation
- The sight has a brightness control, from where you can choose the low or the bright light depending on your surrounding
- It comes with a quality battery that has a decent battery life. The battery is extremely easy to change
- It is a very solid sight, strong enough to serve you for a longer time
- Its red dot is very clear and easy on the eyes
- Its mount needs some improvement
4. Truglo Red-Dot 30mm Dual Color Sight Black
This is the kind of sight that is designed for quick acquisition. It produces a dual-color reticle illumination, red and green. It is shock resistant, fogproof and also waterproof, which gives it a longer life. The sight can guarantee an unlimited eye relief for all kinds of shooters, giving you a wide field of view to be able to focus well on your target. It has an adjustable rheostat to help the user control its brightness depending on their surroundings. The sight is also a lightweight, which makes it extremely easy to mount. Its multi-colored lenses are able to produce more than 95% light transmittance. It comes with a quality battery.
Our Rating: (4 / 5)
- This is a very reliable red dot sight that is well protected from shock, water and fog damage
- It has a 5 MOA reticle that is designed for quick target acquisition. The reticle illuminates two colors, red and green
- The user is able to adjust its brightness to suit its surroundings
- It comes with a special anti-reflective interior, which eliminates stray light from coming inside the sight
- Its brightness settings are limited, therefore may not be easy to get your exact preference
5. Field Sport Red and Green Reflex Sight with 4 Reticles
This is the best red dot sight to use for rapid firing and also to help you aim better at moving targets. It is light in weight, water resistant and shockproof. These are some of its best features which help enhance its performance in all climatic conditions. It has 4 reticle patterns, which offer its user an unlimited eye-relief as well as corrected parallax. It has an inbuilt picatinny mount base, which helps a lot during mounting of the sight. Users are able to adjust the distance and focus as well as brightness of lights in order to get a clearer reticle in all situations.
Our Rating: (3.9 / 5)
- This is a very affordable red dot sight
- Its clarity is good, therefore it can guarantee quick target acquisition
- Users can change between reticles and colors with ease
- Its reticle is not really sharp
Best Red Dot Sight for Shotguns Buying Guide
Red dot sights help a lot not for precision shooting but for close and fast shooting. When using a shotgun, you need to act fast before your opponent reacts first, that is why you need the help of a red dot sight. This is in order to help you acquire your target faster for a quick shot. However, buying a red dot sight for your shotgun can be an uphill task. This is especially because there are so many types of such sights to choose from in the market today. There are a few factors that will help you make the right choice:
Reticle style: the reticle is basically the red dot, whose aim is to bring the weapon in line with the target. Reticles should be illuminated in order to make the user able to shoot in low light conditions. The color and patterns of red dot sights vary from one sight to the other. It is therefore important to find out the one that makes you feel comfortable while shooting.
Sight’s battery life: this is very important as it can provide an assurance that the reticle will be there when you need it the most. A sight with a poor battery life might go off when you are trying to aim and shoot at a target, which is why you should go for the longer battery life.
The price: it is important to know that a higher price does not always mean a better quality red dot sight. There are cheaper sights that work very well, even better than those that are more expensive. If you are working on a budget, take time to find one that is good and that which can fit within your budget.
Gun users today depend on sight in order to accurately aim and shoot at a target. Red dot sights are a great alternative to the traditional iron sights; they are fast and an assurance that you will not miss your target in any situation. Whether you are a law enforcement agent or someone that shoots for recreation, this is an important accessory for your shotgun. From the review, the Aimpoint Micro T-2 2 MOA Sight is a great choice of a red dot sight for shotguns. It is light in weight, comes in an easy to handle design and its battery life is great.